Why & How You Should Advertise to Hispanic College Students
You know why you should advertise to college students and you’ve read five reasons why university advertising is valuable, but did you know that targeting niche college demographics is one great way to maximize your campus marketing ROI? Hispanic college students are one of the most important groups on which to focus your efforts. Learn more about why & how you should advertise to Hispanic college students.
Why advertise to Hispanic college students?
The importance of advertising to Hispanic college students cannot be overstated. Almost 20% of the post-secondary student population is Hispanic or Latino, and this is a rapidly growing demographic. In fact, the U.S. Census Bureau projects that the number of Hispanic consumers in this country will grow from 50 million to 133 million by 2050. As a whole, the American Hispanic community has an annual purchasing power of over $1.5 trillion, and this continues to increase rapidly. When you advertise to Hispanic college students, not only do you influence them, you impact their families and friends as well.
“Diversity is a strength, not a weakness."
– ANTONIO GUTERRES
Where should you advertise to reach Hispanic college students?
There are a number of factors that make a specific campus a good place to advertise. What’s right for one company may not be right for another. You must consider a variety of things, including the size and location of the campus, the makeup and interests of the student population, and the advertising options available. When looking to advertise to Hispanic college students specifically, you will obviously want to choose schools with large Hispanic populations.
The U.S. Department of Education recognizes more than 400 Hispanic Serving Institutions (or HSIs). These are colleges or universities where Hispanic students comprise at least 25% of the full-time student body. Of the 20 U.S. News best ranked colleges with the highest percentage of Hispanic students in fall 2019, 14 were located in Texas or California. These 20 colleges include:
- University of Texas at San Antonio (58% of 28,275 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- University of Texas - El Paso (85% of 21,427 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- University of Texas - Rio Grande Valley (92% of 24,965 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- California State University - Bakersfield (60% of 9,796 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- California State University - Dominguez Hills, (66% of 15,315 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- California State University - San Bernardino (66% of 18,114 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- New Mexico State University (63% of 11,675 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- California State University - Los Angeles (70% of 22,626 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- Florida International University (67% of 49,004 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
- Texas A&M University - Kingsville (73% of 6,174 total degree-seeking undergraduates are Hispanic)
Some other well-know HSI’s include Rutgers University - Newark, Florida International University, University of Central Florida, and the University of Houston.
How should you advertise to Hispanic college students?
Here are some of the most important things to remember when planning your branding, awareness, or recruitment campaign for this target audience:
- Hispanic college students are a diverse group with different cultural backgrounds, language preferences, etc. Apply micromarketing and the niche targeting made possible by digital technology for better results.
- Consider the cultural meaning of the words and language included in your ads.
- Don’t focus all your efforts on language and culture. Use proven marketing strategies.
- Tailor your message for millennials and Generation Z.
- Research has shown that Hispanics access the internet more from mobile devices than traditional computers, so make sure your advertising is mobile-friendly.
- Partner with individuals in the Hispanic community to create trust and enhance the effectiveness of your message.
Are you looking for more information on advertising to Hispanic (or other) college students? See our complete guide to advertising to university students.
Here at MSS Media, Inc., we’ve been providing Education, Government, Real Estate & Lifestyle clients with succinct, optimized, and successful marketing solutions for more than 15 years. Consider MSS Media, Inc. a full-service, one-stop shop for all your Media and Public Relations needs. Your goals are our motivation. And our mission is to propel your message, further and faster, to achieve the outcomes you’re looking for. If you found this blog post helpful, please share!
+ BE IN THE KNOW
We deliver the latest media tips + insider marketing advice straight to your inbox.