Digital Campus Advertising by Platform: Google
Online advertising is a multi-faceted component of digital campus marketing efforts. It aims to reach university students through ads on web browsers, social media platforms and other websites. Google is one of the best online advertising channels today, and particularly relevant for a college audience. Learn how Google can galvanize your digital campus advertising campaign.
Why should you include paid ads in your campus media campaign?
When it comes to effective college media strategies, you can’t go wrong with online advertising. In the PPC (or pay per click) model, marketers pay a fee each time one of their digital ads is clicked. It’s a way of buying visits to your site, rather than attempting to “earn” those visits organically.
PPC advertising is incredibly popular for a number of reasons.
- PPC accounts can be set up in minutes.
- PPC is perfect for rapid response advertising and testing.
- With PPC, you can choose exactly where and when your ads will appear.
- PPC allows you to measure a number of valuable metrics with incredible specificity (including costs, views and clicks).
- PPC campaigns that are properly designed, executed, and optimized are almost certain to achieve excellent ROI.
Why is Google so important for digital campus advertising?
“If it isn't on Google, it doesn't exist."
– JIMMY WALES
- Although Gen Z and millennial audiences spend a lot of time on social media, when they’re ready to purchase, they go to Google.
- Google controls over 92% of the search engine market share worldwide.
- Google processes an estimated 5.6 billion search inquiries per day.
- 4x as many people click on a paid search ad on Google than on any other search engine.
- For every $1 businesses spend on Google Ads, they make an average of $2 in revenue.
How should I use Google for digital campus advertising?
Google is a great method for building awareness, re-engaging visitors that have visited your website, and boosting business. There are two primary ways to advertise on Google - search engine advertising and display ads.
Search engine advertising allows marketers to bid for ad placement in Google's sponsored links. These links appear at the top of the results list when someone searches for a keyword that is related to the advertiser’s business offering. Display ads utilize static images, GIFs, or video. These banner advertisements are served to the audience of your choice.
How can I optimize my Google advertising efforts?
A lot goes into building a winning PPC campaign, from researching and selecting the right keywords, to properly organizing those keywords into effective campaigns and ad groups, to setting up PPC landing pages that are optimized for conversions.
Here are some of the key elements that will affect the outcome of your Google ad campaign:
- Keyword relevance (Crafting relevant PPC keyword lists, tight keyword groups and proper ad text.)
- Landing page quality (Creating optimized landing pages with persuasive, relevant content and a clear call-to-action, tailored to specific search queries.)
- Quality Score (Rating high on Google for the quality and relevance of your keywords, landing pages and PPC campaigns. Advertisers with better Quality Scores get more ad clicks at lower costs.)
- Creative copy (Enticing ad copy is vital. If you're advertising on the display network, you can use a tool like our free Smart Ads Creator to create designer-quality ads that will demand clicks.)
See the other posts in our Digital Campus Advertising by Platform series:
Looking for more information on how to run a successful campus media campaign? See our complete guide to advertising to university students.
Here at MSS Media, Inc., we’ve been providing Education, Government, Real Estate & Lifestyle clients with succinct, optimized, and successful marketing solutions for more than 15 years. Consider MSS Media, Inc. a full-service, one-stop shop for all your Media and Public Relations needs. Your goals are our motivation. And our mission is to propel your message, further and faster, to achieve the outcomes you’re looking for. If you found this blog post helpful, please share!
+ BE IN THE KNOW
We deliver the latest media tips + insider marketing advice straight to your inbox.