Digital Campus Advertising by Platform: Twitch & Other Gaming Outlets
The world of digital marketing, while still relatively new, changes rapidly. To engage young adults, businesses must implement cutting edge tactics and utilize emerging media platforms. Discover the benefits of including gaming platforms in your digital campus advertising campaign.
We know how important advertising to college students is. But we also know the inherent difficulties. Many young adults don’t watch broadcast TV, listen to terrestrial radio or subscribe to cable. They’ve been taught to be skeptical of advertising and are well acquainted with the use of ad blockers. Advertising on video game streaming platforms and in-game advertising are excellent ways to reach this lucrative and elusive group of consumers.
Why target gamers?
- In 2022, there were an estimated three billion gamers worldwide.
- In 2021, 227 million Americans played video games
- A 2021 survey found that more than 8 in 10 internet users between the ages of 16 and 44 play video games.
- Global gaming audiences are projected to increase at a steady rate.
- Research shows gamers pay more attention to advertising than others.
How can I advertise to gaming audiences?
There are multiple ways to add gamer-targeted messaging to your digital campus advertising campaign. These include in-game ads and ads on major streaming platforms.
With the right strategy, in-game ads can be a powerful tool for digital campus advertising. Options include display and video ads, sponsored game content, product placement and games designed specifically to promote a brand or product. Merging ads with the game environment seamlessly is extremely powerful and effective.
In-game advertisers benefit from unique targeting abilities. In addition to focusing on consumers based on demographics, geolocation, device type or platforms, advertisers can use behavioral targeting to maximize their ROI. For example, players who have spent real money to buy items in a game may be more likely to spend money on other products.
“Emerging media has profoundly changed advertising—making it more effective, more efficient, and more fun for everybody involved."
– LOYOLA UNIVERSITY
In addition to in-game advertising on gaming consoles, computers and smartphones), marketers can advertise on major streaming platforms like Twitch, YouTube and Facebook Gaming. Content produced by gaming influencers is one of the main forms of entertainment on these platforms.
- 87.1% of all streams on Twitch are gaming streams.
- Games are the most-watched category on YouTube.
- 2 of the top 5 YouTube channels with the most subscribers worldwide are gaming-related.
What is Twitch?
Twitch is a live streaming service and global online community operated by an Amazon subsidiary. Content includes gaming, entertainment, music, sports and more. Twitch advertises itself as the ultimate influencer marketing based platform. It was introduced in June 2011 and has grown rapidly.
- By February 2014, Twitch was considered the fourth largest source of peak internet traffic in the United States.
- As of February 2020, Twitch had 3 million broadcasters monthly and 15 million daily active users, with 1.4 million average concurrent users.
- The typical Twitch viewer is male and aged between 18 and 34 years of age.
- 62% of Twitch viewers engage with esports and gaming personalities daily.
- 64% of Twitch viewers purchase products recommended by the personalities they follow.
See the other posts in our Digital Campus Advertising by Platform series:
Looking for more information on how to run a successful campus media campaign? See our complete guide to advertising to university students.
Here at MSS Media, Inc., we’ve been providing Education, Government, Real Estate & Lifestyle clients with succinct, optimized, and successful marketing solutions for more than 15 years. Consider MSS Media, Inc. a full-service, one-stop shop for all your Media and Public Relations needs. Your goals are our motivation. And our mission is to propel your message, further and faster, to achieve the outcomes you’re looking for. If you found this blog post helpful, please share!
+ BE IN THE KNOW
We deliver the latest media tips + insider marketing advice straight to your inbox.